Sigh. Where did the month of January go? I blinked a few times, and it's now time to flip that first page of the 2013 calendar. But oh, what a fun month it was! Blissfully enjoying the freedom of a lighter schedule at work, the weeks have been filled to to the brim with fun memory makers.
(1) You know that you and your friends are mature adults when a Saturday night of fun equals dinner out and then back to the house for a riveting game of Life. Even better, I won, handily. ;-)
(2) Despite getting the flu shot at the start of the season, I, like seemingly 98.9% of Americans, fell victim to the dreaded flu. Medicine of choice? Spicy homemade chili...in a Virginia Tech mug, of course.
(3) Highlight of the month = a whirlwind visit from one of my dearest friends. April and I went to med school together but 350 miles now tragically separate us. LOVED having her back in Virginia for a couple of days!
(4) Having April here called for some serious skying and Face Time with our circle of friends. Oh to have Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Mississippi, and California closer together!
(5) One of the best aspects of living in Northern VA? The amazing diversity of cuisine. A delicious Afghan meal AND the company of great girlfriends? Sweet!
(6) My roommate is getting married in June, and our group of friends decided that a surprise bachelorette party was in order. Knowing her love for peanut butter and chocolate, deciding what to bake for dessert was not a difficult venture. P.S. Look for the recipe soon! :)
Not pictured: the treadmill. Oh yes, remember that pesky little January resolution to run at least four days a week? Well, I'm proud to say, "mission accomplished." Despite a week of the flu, blustery cold weather, and the predictably overwhelming gym crowds of the new year, I managed to put some serious miles in at least four days a week. (Hint: Motivation is never an issue when you have the anticipation of wearing a bikini on the Hawaiian beaches in just a few weeks AND the reward of some girl talk in the gym hot tub with your gym buddy/close friend at the end of every workout.) Now I'm not signing up for the NY marathon just yet (and any serious runner would surely laugh at my jogger's pace) but I am pleased say that both my speed and distance steadily increased over the past four weeks...which is no small accomplishment for a girl who would love to claim an allergy to running. In fact, I think I might just keep it up...it really is a bit addicting. :)
And alas, it's now time to welcome in February...and choose a new resolution. Oh, I tried to choose a really creative one on the heels of January's predictable, stereotypical one...but I'm sad to say I failed. Let's hope for creativity in March.
So, without further ado, February's resolution: drink 8 cups of water a day. I know, I know. So unoriginal. But, trust me, it's needed. Working in a hospital all day, it's not unusual for a twelve hour shift to end with me having drunk nothing more than mere sips all day. Oy vey. Time to change that! 28 days. 64 ounces of water. Game on.