Wednesday, September 19, 2012

project wedding cake: mocha, nutella, and raspberry fillings


Shame on me. I told y'all I was making a wedding cake weeks ago...gave you the recipe for the yellow cake layer...and then got so busy actually baking the cake and its components that I failed to share with you one of my favorite parts of the finished product: the fillings! Yes, you read that correctly: the epic wedding cake is now an adventure of the past. I survived...the cake was successfully delivered...it was enjoyed by all...and, most importantly, both the gorgeous ceremony and reception were the perfect celebration of a sweet couple's love and covenant commitment to each other.

As a quick recap, the cake consisted of three flavor combos: marble cake with mocha filling, devil's food cake with Nutella filling, and yellow cake with raspberry filling. When choosing recipes for the fillings, I already had a go-to one for the raspberry, which I had previously discovered for my friend Rachael's wedding cake.  The other two required a little research, though. And let me just tell you. The research paid off.

Top layer = mocha filling. As someone who doesn't drink coffee, I had no expectations of actually liking this one. But oh, I did. With the perfect balance of chocolate and coffee, this won over my heart and my taste buds.

Middle layer = Nutella filling. Starting with a base of store-bought chocolate-hazelnut goodness and adding just a few ingredients, this may be my new favorite food. Oh my, is it dangerous.

Bottom layer = raspberry filling. Have made this for yellow cake, chocolate cake, and cheesecake, I can assure you....something this simple should not taste this good.

Oh, and if you're looking for a way to use these yummies for something other than cake, have I got a suggestion for you. Stay tuned... ;-)

Mocha Buttercream

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 tablespoon espresso powder
4-6 tablespoons cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a small bowl, sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. Add vanilla. Alternatively beat in cocoa/sugar mixture and cream until smooth. Beat on medium speed until light and creamy, about 3 minutes.

Nutella Buttercream

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup Nutella
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted

In a large bowl, beat the buter and Nutella together until creamy. Add the vanilla, milk, and sugar and beat low speed until just about incorporated. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the frosting is smooth.

Raspberry Filling

2 10-ounce bags frozen raspberries, thawed
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons arrow root or cornstarch

Puree the raspberries in a food processor, blender, or immersion blender. Press the puree through a fine-mesh strainer with the back of a spoon, removing the seeds. Heat the puree in a small pot with the sugar and cornstarch until the mixture boils, stirring constantly. As it boils, it should quickly thicken. Pull from the heat and let it cool completely.

Mocha from Dollhouse Bake Shoppe; Nutella from Tracey's Culinary Adventures; Raspberry from Smitten Kitchen

5 comments: