Tuesday, September 18, 2012

sweet potato, corn, and black bean chili


If you were to ask my Blacksburg girlfriends what I think about sweet potatoes, I have no doubt that you would get a jolly chuckle and emphatic answer in reply. You see, in our four years at school together, where our intimate knowledge of each other included everything from ice cream preferences to greatest hopes and fears, my obsession perfectly normal love for that most wonderous root veggie was well known. Annnnd the fact that I would eat them often enough each fall and winter to make the palms of my hands turn a nice, sweet shade of orange may or may not have been a frequent source of entertainment within our circle. ;-)

So, when my bff invited me to take part in ONE's latest nutrition campaign, which just so happens to be focused on none other than the great sweet potato, I knew it was a cause I wanted to be a part of. For those of you who share my enthusiasm for this nutritious and versatile ingredient, get excited about the numerous recipes that will be posted in the coming weeks during the course of the campaign! For anyone else, allow me to make an attempt at changing your opinion with a few taste bud temptations.

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 large sweet potato, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chilli powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 1/2 cups broth or water (I used chicken broth for an added depth of flavor)
2 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, minced

In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and lightly browned. Add the sweet potato, garlic, and spices and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes with their juice and stir, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes. Add the beans and corn and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve with a heavy sprinkle of cilantro.

Adapted from Fort Mill SC Living

4 comments: